Search Within Results
Common Core: Standard
Common Core: ELA
Common Core: Math
CCLS - ELA: RI.5.4
- Reading Informational
- Craft and Structure
- State Standard:
- Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- CLOSE READ: BLUE CREEK, A RAINFOREST IN BELIZE (PAGE 12) In advance: Read and become familiar with page 12 of The Most Beautiful Roof in the World and the Text-Dependent Questions for this text...
- INTRODUCTION TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ROOF IN THE WORLD: WHY DOES MEG LOWMAN RESEARCH THE RAINFOREST? (PAGES 2-4) This lesson opens with a quick activity about Meg Lowman and her research. This activity...
- CASE STUDY: THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ROOF IN THE WORLD AND THE WORK OF RAINFOREST SCIENTIST MEG LOWMAN In this unit students will continue to build new reading skills and learn about the process scientists...
- END-OF-UNIT 1 ASSESSMENT: COMPARING AND CONTRASTING TEXTS ABOUT BIODIVERSITY IN THE RAINFOREST In this lesson, students formally self-reflect on learning targets for the second time.
- ANALYZING DOCUMENTARY VIDEOS: “GREAT BEAR RAINFOREST REMOTE CAMERA PROJECT” BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA During this lesson, students view this short video three times. During the first two viewings, the...
- CONTINUED CLOSE READ OF “SLOTH CANOPY RESEARCHER: BRYSON VOIRIN” Be ready to return students’ annotated texts (Reading an Interview, from Lesson 2). Review: Glass, Bugs, Mud protocol in Checking for...
- READING AN INTERVIEW: “SLOTH CANOPY RESEARCHER: BRYSON VOIRIN” In this lesson students set up their glossaries at the back of their journal. This is in effect a vocabulary notebook for the module....
- BUILDING BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE: HOW SCIENTISTS COMMUNICATE ABOUT THE LIVING THINGS OF THE RAINFOREST In this first unit, students will explore the question: “What is unique about living things in the...
- Researching to Build Knowledge and Teaching Others: Biodiversity in Rainforests of the Western Hemisphere This module—intended to be used in conjunction with a Social Studies unit about Latin America...
- Close Reading: “Unpacking” Specific Articles of the UDHR In this lesson and Lesson 7, students will become “experts” on 11 specific Articles from the UDHR. These Articles were chosen specifically...
- Close Reading: The Introduction to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights This lesson reinforces the vocabulary work from Lesson 3, and introduces a new vocabulary strategy: using morphology (word...
- Vocabulary Introduction: Human Rights Review Vocabulary strategies and Think Pair Share and Write- Pair-Share protocols (see Appendix 1) For Work Time 2B (flash cards), the focus is on how to make...
- Building Background Knowledge on Human Rights: Close Reading of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) This lesson includes many simple protocols or “routines” that support...
- Becoming a Close Reader and Writing to Learn: Stories of Human Rights What are human rights, and how do real people and fictional characters respond when those rights are challenged? Students will...