Search Within Results
Common Core: Standard
Common Core: ELA
Common Core: Math
CCLS - ELA: W.4.2
- Text Types and Purposes
- State Standard:
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
- Unit 3: Researching a Selected Poet and Writing a Biographical Essay In this unit, students are introduced to biographies with the text A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, by Jen...
- Unit 2: Writing to Learn about Poetry In this unit, students apply what they have learned in Unit 1 to further explore poetry through writing. Students begin the unit with a shared writing experience...
- Unit 3 expands on the conversation around symbolism and culture begun in Unit 1 to incorporate global perspectives. Students listen to, view, and close read informational texts regarding the...
- In the second unit, students read an informational text to deepen their knowledge of the Haudenosaunee with a focus on determining main ideas and supporting details, notetaking, using context clues...
- In Unit 1, students will read and listen closely to interpret main ideas and thematic connections between visual imagery (symbols and graphics), oral tradition (Haudenosaunee video) and diverse...
- In Unit 2 students read the extended science text Simple Machines: Forces in Action by Buffy Silverman (870L) to learn about simple machines while also examining the structure and text features of...
- In Unit 2, students read The Hope Chest by Karen Schwabach. This novel is a piece of historical fiction set in 1920 during the passage of the 19th Amendment, which gave women in the United States the...
- In the third unit, students apply what they have learned about the American Revolution and perspectives in order to complete their performance task, a broadside convincing someone to be a Patriot.
- In this unit, students apply the research they have completed (in Unit 2) about their expert animal and its defense mechanisms in order to write a narrative about their animal. Students will write a...
- In this second unit, students research their expert group animal and its defense mechanisms. Close reading of informational texts about their expert group animal will prepare students for the mid-...
- CULMINATING PROJECT: RESEARCH-BASED NARRATIVE ABOUT AN EVENT IN COLONIAL AMERICA In Unit 3, students continue building their research skills as they deepen their knowledge about colonial life,...
- CASE STUDY: CONDUCTING RESEARCH ON COLONIAL AMERICANS In the second unit, students further develop their ability to comprehend informational text by hearing and reading a variety of nonfiction...