Description: Grades K-2 ELA Curriculum Professional Development Materials by Core Knowledge
Message from the Presenter:
Dear NTI Participants,
As you review these materials, you may notice some hidden slides and jumbled text or graphics that don't look quite right. They are intentional and are the result of some notes and animations that have been included to support making some key points more effectively.
Part of our role this week will be to walk you through both the content and use of the training materials. At that time we are confident that we will be able to answer your questions about the materials.
We are looking forward to working with you to support your K – 2 Common Core ELA implementation.
The Core Knowledge Foundation Team
Overview of the Core Knowledge Language Arts Program
This document outlines the pedagogical rationale for the program, rollout schedule and rationale, and detailed overview of the two strands of materials that comprise the program.
Curriculum Maps for K-2 Core Knowledge Language Arts Program
The Listening and Learning strand and the Skills strand curriculum maps for the K-2 ELA program outline the pacing, content, NY Common Core Learning Standards, and central texts for each unit.
Overview of K-2 ELA Materials Alignment with the Six Common Core Shifts
This six-hour workshop provides an overview of the K-2 ELA materials being released this year. The workshop includes a detailed walk through each of the Six Common Core Shifts, what they look like for K-2, and how they are supported by the K-2 ELA materials.
Conduct this workshop before you begin using the K-2 ELA materials
Overview and Six Common Core Shifts Handouts
1. Sample Back Cover of Skills Strand Reader Grade 2
2. Recommended Domain Sequence
3. Fiction Story Peter Rabbit
4. Info Story Human Body
5. What Do You Know
Making the Most of Listening & Learning: Supporting Your Implementation and Extensions
This six-hour workshop provides experienced Listening and Learning users with guidance on selecting texts, conducting effective read-alouds, conducting effective text-based discussions, and creating meaningful text-based extension activities. This workshop will support teachers who want to extend the Listening and Learning materials using the "domain-based unit" approach.
Conduct this workshop after you have had an opportunity to implement AT LEAST ONE of the posted K-2 ELA units in its entirety.
Making the Most of Listening & Learning Workshop Handouts
1. Teaching Content Is Teaching Reading Capture Sheet
2. Discussion Guide Willingham Article
3. Usefulness Of Reading Strategies Request Permission
4. Unit Examination Activity
5. What Do You Know About Domains
6. Find Someone Who
7. Making The Most Morning Activator
8. Read-Aloud Evaluation Checklist
9. Critical Components Of Read-Alouds
10. Supporting All Learners Via Text Selection
11. Is This A Quality Read-Aoud
12. 321 Summarizer Selecting Read-Alouds
13. Video Capture Sheet Presenting Read-Alouds
14. Supporting All Learners Via Presenting Read-Alouds
15. 321 Summarizer Presenting Read-Alouds
16. Supporting All Learners Via Discussion
17. Discussions Read-Alouds Non-Responders
18. 321 Summarizer Discussing Read-Alouds
19. Extensions Review
20. Extension Activities
21. Extensions Review Part 2
22. Extensions Focus Visible
23. Extensions Supporting Learners
Understanding the Structure of the English Language
Use these resources to begin building understanding of the phonics approach employed by the K-2 ELA Skills strand scheduled for summer 2013 release.